Rainforest Wildlife Spotlighting Tours Cairns
The Wait-a-While Rainforest Tour takes you wildlife spotting by both day and NIGHT! Visiting the World Heritage Listed Wet Tropics Rainforest National Parks from Cairns, we have been hosting small (max 11 people) personal rainforest wildlife spotlighting tours into the world’s oldest continuously surviving rainforest near Cairns for more than 30 years.
With an impressive success rate, we take our guests to the Atherton Tablelands to observe animals, such as the elusive platypus (we have a 90% + success rate) and the rare tree kangaroos, in their natural habitat as well as the nocturnal animals.
Cairns is a major tourist destination with thousands of visitors coming here each year to experience the Great Barrier Reef and yet relatively few discover the Cairns Tablelands (sometimes known as the Atherton Tablelands).
The Tablelands are within easy reach of Cairns offering a shorter drive time than any Daintree rainforest tours and greater rainforest wildlife spotlighting opportunities.
The best time of day to spot wildlife in Australia is at dusk through to nighttime so our tours depart in the early afternoon. As the rainforest comes alive at night (80% of animals in Australia are nocturnal or more active at night), our spotlights enable us to capture the animals up in the canopy.
Experiencing the tropical rainforest at night is something you will remember, especially with an informative guide to help you understand this magnificent wildlife environment.
After being picked up from your hotel (please note for hotels in Port Douglas there is an extra $100 per booking pick up fee) we go in search of Australian native animals around Cairns on our rainforest wildlife spotlighting tour. We make a series of short drives to visit several locations so you get a taste for the variety of sights in this area. Your guide will then introduce you to some of the world’s most unusual animals, including the elusive platypus (we have a 90% success rate), tree kangaroos, possums, gliders, flying foxes, bandicoots, echidnas, snakes, frogs and many others.
On the tour we will also learn about the tropical rainforest and how local Aboriginal tribes use the vegetation to make tools and to heal and make remedies to solve everyday common ailments.
- Departs Cairns around 14:00, Port Douglas 12:15($100 extra), Northern Beaches 13:00
- Return to Cairns by 22:30 hours (hotel drop off)
- Comfortable, fully air-conditioned van
- Maximum 11 people
- Afternoon Tea and Dinner included
- Learn about the tropical rainforest around the Cairns Tablelands
- 90% success rate for platypus sightings
- Easy walking. Suitable for children.
• Small groups (max 11 people) led by personal, professional guides.
• All equipment (binoculars, rain ponchos).
• No hidden extras like National park fees, fuel levies, insurances, and surcharges.
• Meals – afternoon tea, dinner and refreshments.
• Please advise any special dietary requirements prior to departure.
• Comfortable, air-conditioned vehicles.